Classical and Romantic
Chords and Rhythm
Beginners to Advanced
I welcome pupils of all ages and of all levels. Lessons customised to suit your needs. I am registered with the Registry of Guitar Tutors.
It was as a teen that I was first inspired by the guitar's versatility and power to captivate and that I started my life-long passion for the guitar.
After many years of playing in groups as varied as ceilidh and jazz bands, I now specialize in solo fingerstyle and classical guitar and have developed my own sound, not restricted by genre. My repertoire embraces classical, flamenco, blues, jazz, traditional folk and contemporary fingerstyle.
I have been teaching the guitar for over 20 years to both children and adults. My teaching experience is within the context of school, higher education and private tuition.
Why learn with me?
If you feel you've reached a plateau or are not developing as a guitarist, I can point you in the right direction. If you feel your playing suffers from bad habits, I can show you what to do. If you lack confidence in your playing, I can give you a boost. If you're stuck in a rut I can introduce you to new pieces that will reward you. I can encourage you to play naturally avoiding physical stress. I can help you develop a fluid and musical approach to your playing.
I can't promise the impossible, but I'll do my best to put that spark back into your playing again.
What's on offer?
• Acoustic fingerstyle guitar (folk, celtic, DADGAD...). In addition to the RGT syllabus, personally I love playing pieces by John Renbourn, Phil Keaggy, Martin Simpson, Mark Thomson and artists from the Windham Hill label...
• Classical (all periods). In addition to the RGT syllabus I can introduce you to some great contemporary guitar composers like Francis Kleynjans, Andrew York and Jaime Zenamon.
• Some jazz and blues... so many possibilities and so many great pieces by Charlie Byrd, Baden Powell, Django Reinhardt...
• Accompaniment to songs
• Improvisation, composition and theory if requested and when necessary
• There's no need for you to be able to read music! We can use tab which is very easy to learn and use.
• Also, all aspects of notation can be studied too.
• Possibility to study for grades in Classical or Acoustic guitar and to sit the RGT exams.
"After teaching myself the guitar for 15 years (playing with a plectrum and picking up bad habits), I was unable to go any further with my playing. I had to take lessons in order to develop and stay motivated. With Jonny, I have progressed even more quickly than I had ever hoped. He tailored his dynamic teaching to my needs, giving me a coherent method, at my own pace, built around exercises and a wide range of pieces. I am now capable (after a year and a half of lessons) to play fingerstyle (Folk and Celtic) and classical... pieces I did not dream of ever being able to play. THANK YOU Jonny". Nicolas Hurtado.
Fee (30 minutes): £15.00
Fee (40 minutes): £20.00
PLEASE NOTE: All users of our service are bound by our terms
and conditions. We strongly recommend that you read our guidelines
on choosing a teacher before making any approach to a teacher for music lessons.
If you feel this profile contains any inaccurate or inappropriate content, please
let us know.