• MA Music (Oxon.) (Double First Class Honours)
• Postgraduate Diploma Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (Dist.)
• Master of Music Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (Dist.)
• Young Artist/Fellow Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (Dist.)
• Yeoman of Worshipful Company of Musicians
• Busenhart-Morgan Evans Award Recipient 2010
• Waddell Prize recipient 2011
• ABRSM Grade 8 Cello Distinction
• ABRSM Grade 8 Piano Distinction
Music Theory/Aural Training
Beginners to Advanced
Scottish cellist Duncan Strachan is a unique and highly successful music tutor. Experienced and adept at teaching students of all ages and abilities, Duncan is also a highly sought-after professional cellist, with a busy international career as cellist of the Maxwell Quartet. With extensive training at Oxford University and subsequently at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Duncan is the top choice for private tuition in the Glasgow area for cello lessons.
Aside from a busy private teaching and performing diary, Duncan also teaches for junior conservatoire departments and university music departments in various locations across the UK. He teaches at Douglas Academy's Music School, and for Sistema Scotland's Big Noise programme in Govanhill. Duncan's teaching methods take influence from Suzuki and Feuillard among others, as well as from his own teachers, Audrey Scott, Pat Hair and Colin Carr.
Aside from cello, Duncan also teaches piano, having studied with Audrey Innes and Richard Beauchamp at St Mary's Music School, Edinburgh. He works frequently as an accompanist, and is able to host piano lessons from home, with a Bechstein upright piano in a spacious music room.
Duncan is an experienced composer and music theorist. He has composed a number of film scores for award-winning films, and is in demand as a composer of chamber, choral and orchestral works. Available for music theory lessons (ABRSM Grade 5 Theory preparation available), ABRSM Exam aural training, composition lessons, GCSE/A-level Music preparation, and preparation for entrance examinations/interviews to further education institutions.
Contact now for a free trial lesson. It is possible to both travel to and host lessons (West End Glasgow).
• Cello teacher Douglas Academy Music School
• Cello Teacher Sistema Scotland
• Cello Tutor Highbury Grove Music School
• Cello tutor, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Junior Conservatoire
• Cello Lecturer, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
• Cello tutor, Glasgow University
• Lower Strings Tutor, RCS Musicworks, Armadale
• Music co-ordinator and tutor, Storuman Kulturakademin (Sweden)
• Cello tutor, Helgeland Unge Kammerorkester (Norway)
• Cello tutor, Lochaber Music School
Fee (30 minutes): £20.00
Fee (60 minutes): £35.00
PLEASE NOTE: All users of our service are bound by our terms
and conditions. We strongly recommend that you read our guidelines
on choosing a teacher before making any approach to a teacher for music lessons.
If you feel this profile contains any inaccurate or inappropriate content, please
let us know.