CURRICULUM VITAE – Henry Tozer
2014 BA in Music, University of Cambridge
2008 Distinction in DipABRSM Piano; Grade 8 Singing, Guitar & Music Theory
2011 Piano solo “Clearing Mists” performed at the BBC Proms as one of the winners in BBC Young
Composer of the Year.
- He writes for a wide range of mediums, having had works performed by choir, orchestral ensemble, piano
trio, wind quintet and other combinations. He has created various electro-acoustic works.
- Studied with composers Jeremy Thurlow, Peter Maxwell-Davis, Patrick Ozzard-Low, Richard Causton, Giles
- Currently working on an album of songs, Dreams of a Distant Land, to be released Xmas 2015.
- Can compose fluently in a wide variety of styles, from Brahms-esque Romanticism to jazz, pop and rock. His
personal style is usually characterised by an emotive and mystical soundworld emerging from a deep
understanding of harmony.
2014-2015 - KMC NYC Promo Video (Soundtrack) www.meditationinnewyork.org
- Tharpaland Retreat Centre Promo Video (Soundtrack) www.tharpaland.org
- Original song “Web of Kindness” used in feature film “My Blind Brother”, starring Adam Scott,
Jenny Slate & Nick Kroll
- Prospective soundtrack composer for “My Blind Brother” (in production)
Rich and versatile bass-baritone voice, with unusually large vocal range of over five octaves.
2011-2014 - Choral scholar at Robinson College, Cambridge, under the direction of Tim Brown. Also sung with
Clare College choir and the University Chamber Choir. Within the choirs and as a soloist, toured
Israel, Austria and Italy.
- Singer in acappella close harmony group Over The Bridge. Performed in concerts with John
Rutter and David Wilcocks. Also performed at Cambridge May Balls and other events.
- Gave many solo recitals as a pianist, singer and guitarist, within Cambridge, London & Devon.
- Trained with Stephen Varcoe, Ian Comboy, Tim Brown.
2014 - - Professional choral singer, singing in NYC choirs including St. Mary the Virgin and St. Ignatius.
- Session singer for various soundtracks, including The Fall of Camelot.
- Notable singer in Central Park.
- Vocal coach, giving professional singing lessons.
Has given countless solo recitals and concerts. As a classical pianist, he has a wide repertoire, with Chopin
being his speciality.
Jazz pianist – worked as jazz pianist in various hotels and bars, including Salcombe Harbour Hotel and Bellini’s
Piano Bar. Has played in various New York clubs, including The Village Underground.
Accompanist – has worked extensively as an accompanist, for singers and soloists within concerts and auditions, including work as audition accompanist for London opera company King’s Opera. Worked for 3 years as Musical Director of Kingsbridge Youth Theatre. Is an excellent sight-reader.
Improviser – an unusually talented and original improviser, has given solo concerts of spontaneous improvisation.
Performer – has provided the entertainment for many weddings, parties and other events.
Voiceover artist, including voiceover work for the documentary-film “Letters from Bhagdad” (2015, in production)
Actor – cast for cameo role in feature film My Blind Brother; at university and school played lead roles as Algernon in The Importance of Being Earnest, Fagin in Oliver and Danny Zuko in Grease.
Has been training as a Buddhist Teacher for 6 years, studying under the guidance of Buddhist masters Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and Kadam Morten Clausen.
Has given professional music workshops, including a course on “Experiencing the Joy of Singing”.
Links to some of his music:
 Two songs: “What’s Gone?” http://goo.gl/59Nf6S “Where Were You That Night?” http://goo.gl/oITl4x
 A movement of a piano trio (live recording with Henry on the piano): http://goo.gl/5QA5mo Score here: http://goo.gl/K8e5wI
 A choral piece, setting a poem by Rumi (performed by the Choir of Robinson College, Cambridge): http://goo.gl/2imjRC Score here: http://goo.gl/gqXRvY
 An electro-acoustic composition, with a written explanation: http://goo.gl/BSh7TR Written explanation: http://goo.gl/UpH3lE
 An atmospheric soundscape suitable for a soundtrack: http://goo.gl/upO1fG
 A solo piano piece (performed live by Henry, largely improvised): “A Prayer of Liberation” http://goo.gl/TdOQ7d
 A video of a little song about kindness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoVd0RryAcA